Sunspotter Talk

Suggestion

• hiigaran by hiigaran

A few times now, I have run into an issue where after classifying one image as more complex than the other, only one of the two new images would load, leaving the old one still visible.

I've realised that the old one stayed there simply because the next image in its place had not loaded. This has resulted in several potentially incorrect classifications.

I suggest a script that would hide and disable both images when either one is clicked, so that they are not confused with the newer images.

Posted

• ElisabethB by ElisabethB

Hi hiigaran and welcome to SunSpotters

We've all had that problem where one image hangs and then we clicked, maybe causing an incorrect classification. But every image will be looked at by a lot of people so the occasional misclick will get ironed out !

I don't think that any major alterations to the script will be done (not enough devs ! )

Just have fun ! 😄

Posted

• hiigaran by hiigaran

The feature can be implemented with a few simple lines of javascript. Normally I'd avoid coding JS wherever I can help it, but considering how reliant the classification page is on it, there's no real drawback to adding a little more.

How bad is the dev shortage across the Zooniverse projects, anyway? Heard some things, but not quite sure what the extent of the shortage actually is.

Posted

• ElisabethB by ElisabethB

It is really not a big deal ! What is more complex is sometimes a very personal perspective. Some mistakes recorded by hanging images will not make a difference anyhow/anyway.

Posted

• DZM by DZM admin in response to hiigaran's comment.

If you'd like to have a crack at it, the GitHub repo is open! https://github.com/zooniverse/Sunspots

Posted

• hiigaran by hiigaran

Cheers, I'll check it out in a few days.

Posted

• hiigaran by hiigaran

Okay...that's much more than I expected from the JS! What on earth would require that many lines of JS for an interface that's so simple?

I don't suppose you have the general lines that deal with fetching new images?

(Mind you, I'm almost clueless with JS, but this might be motivation for me to learn more about it)

Posted