Sunspotter Talk

New to sun science!

• chaoticidealism by chaoticidealism

I like astronomy but never really bothered with the sun... until now. I'm starting to feel pretty silly, considering it's the only star within comfortable observing distance.

Can somebody point me to a good reference to the basic concepts? Thanks!

Posted

• dvdgc13 by dvdgc13 translator, scientist in response to chaoticidealism's comment.

@chaoticidealism do you mean basic concepts of solar observation? As per doing in the backyard? or do you mean professional observations?

If you are interested on amateur observations there are many resource online.
    For example, I've just found a guide of Solar observation from Astronomy Now with a set of videos which probably gives a basic introduction to the different aspects.
    But as it says in there and in other sites NEVER EVER look directly at the Sun.

On a book format, I've recently found this one on my institute's library and it seems complete to learn the basic concepts:

• Observing the Sun: A Pocket Field Guide (Astronomer's Pocket Field Guide) - Amazon, Google books

Now, if what you are interested in more professional observations then I can recommended you these books:

Most of the solar data observed from spacecraft are freely available and you can use different tools to browse the data.

Each instrument shown in these pages observe different wavelength or properties from the sun, with the books that I mentioned above you may understand better what they show, but also wikipedia has a lot of information.

Posted

• chaoticidealism by chaoticidealism

Awesome, thanks!!

Posted

• jules by jules

And there's Solar Stormwatch - another zooniverse project too!

Posted